Social Security Disability Benefits for Children - Part 2

What Happens When the Child who Has a Disability that Began Before they Became 22 Years Old? As previously mentioned, The Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), not (SSI), program pays benefits to adults who have a disability that began before they became 22 years old. The SSA considers this SSDI benefit as a “child’s” benefit because it is paid on a Parent’s Social Security Earnings Record.

For a Disabled Adult to become entitled to this “child” benefit, one of his or her parents:

  • Must Be Receiving Social Security Retirement or Disability Benefits; or
  • Must Have Died and Have Worked Long Enough under Social Security.

The SSDI disabled adult “child” benefits continue as long as the individual remains disabled and your child does not need to have worked to get these benefits since the benefits are based on the Parent’s Social Security Earnings Record.

How Does the SSA decide if your “child” is disabled for SSDI benefits? If your child is age 18 or older, the disability will be evaluated in the same way as a disability was evaluated for an Adult. For detailed information about how the SSA evaluates disability for adults, ask for Disability Benefits (Publication No. 05-10029).

How Do I or My Child apply for SSI Benefits? You can apply for SSI benefits or SSDI benefits for your child by calling the Social Security toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or by visiting your local Social Security office. If you 
are applying for SSI payments for your child, you should have his or her Social Security number and birth certificate with you when you apply. If you are applying for SSDI benefits for your child, please have your own Social Security Number with you in addition to the child’s Social Security number and Birth Certificate.

In order to assist the SSA in making a decision, you may also provide the following information, and have as much information available with you to speed up the process:

  • Providing as much information as you can to the SSA about your Child’s Medical Condition(s);
  • Providing the SSA with the Dates of Visits to the Doctors or Hospitals, the Patient Account Numbers for any Doctors or Hospitals, and any other information that will assist in getting your child’s medical records; and
  • Providing Copies of any Medical Reports or any other Information that you already have in your possession. Please kindly note that you do not need to request this information since the DDS will request this information. Just be sure to fill out the
  • Adult Disability Report (SSA-3368) ; and
  • Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration (SSA-827) so that the process goes as quickly and smoothly as possible.
  • Employment support programs for young people with disabilities

Will my Child Also Qualify for Medicaid? Medicaid is a health care program for people with low incomes and limited resources. In most states, children who get SSI payments qualify for Medicaid. In many states, Medicaid comes automatically with SSI eligibility. In other states, however, you must sign up for it. The best thing to do is to check with your local Social Security office, your state Medicaid agency, or your state or county social services office for more information.

Your child, however, may get Medicare immediately if he or she:

  • Has A Chronic Renal Disease and needs a Kidney Transplant or Maintenance Dialysis; or
  • Has Lou Gehrig’s Disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis).

What if We Are a Working Family and do not Qualify for Medicaid but we Still need Medical Assistance for Our Children? This is a common problem and you are not alone. You may get more information about coverage for your children at on the Internet or by calling 1-877-543-7669. When your child gets SSI, the SSA will refer you to places where you can get health care services for your child that are covered under Children with Special Health Care Needs provision of the Social Security Act. Even if your child does not get SSI, one of these programs may be able to help you: Local health departments; social service offices; or hospitals should be able to help you contact your local Children with Special Health Care Needs program.

As you can tell from reading all of this information that filing and applying for SSI and SSDI for a child is a daunting task. At Julie A. Rice, Attorney at Law & Affiliates, we have helped hundred, if not thousands, of Children and Adults receive SSI and SSDI Benefits and we are here to help you today so please Contact Us for your free legal consultation so that we can get you the benefits that you deserve for you or a loved one. We look forward to hearing from you soon, and remember that you do not pay any legal fees unless we collect benefits for you or your loved one!

Additional Information: