If you or someone you care about has been injured in a boating accident in Atlanta, it is important that you understand your rights and seek compensation for your injuries and related losses.
At Julie A. Rice, Attorney at Law, & Affiliates, we are trusted Atlanta boat accident lawyers, here to guide you through the legal process to obtain compensation after being injured in a boating accident caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing.
What Is a Boating Accident?
A boating accident is any incident involving watercraft, from motorboats to sailboats, Jet Skis, and even canoes. These accidents can result from various causes, including:
- Impaired Boat Operators: Boating under the influence is a grave offense that can lead to accidents. Impaired operators may lose control, collide with objects, or capsize their vessels.
- Falls: Slippery decks, unexpected waves, or unstable footing can lead to passengers or crew members slipping or falling overboard, potentially causing serious injuries.
- Crashes with Another Vessel, Underwater Hazard, or Stationary Object: Navigational errors, high speeds, or poor visibility can result in collisions with other boats, submerged obstacles, or stationary structures, leading to catastrophic damage.
- Distracted Boat Operators: Distracted boating can be dangerous. Operators using mobile devices or not paying attention to their surroundings can cause an accident similar to distracted driving car accidents in Atlanta.
- Poor Boat Maintenance: Neglected maintenance can lead to equipment failures, engine problems, or structural issues that may cause accidents.
- Lack of Proper Emergency Equipment: Inadequate safety equipment, such as life jackets, fire extinguishers, or navigation lights, can contribute to accidents and exacerbate their consequences.
Regardless of the cause, if you were injured in a boating accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to substantial compensation for your damages.
What Damages Are Available to Boating Accident Victims in Atlanta?
If you are a victim of a boating accident in Atlanta, you may be entitled to various types of compensation:
- Medical Expenses: This covers the costs of immediate medical care, ongoing treatments, and rehabilitation.
- Lost Wages and Income: Compensation for wages lost due to time off work during your recovery.
- Diminished Earning Capacity Due to a Disability: If your injuries affect your ability to earn as you did before the accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the income you are no longer able to generate.
- Pain and Suffering: This non-economic damage award addresses the physical and emotional distress you have endured.
- Emotional Distress: Boating accidents can cause significant emotional trauma, for which you may be compensated.
- Damaged Personal Property: If your personal belongings were damaged or lost in the accident, you may be entitled to reimbursement.
How Long Do I Have to File a Boating Accident Lawsuit?
In Georgia, there is a statute of limitations for personal injury accidents, including those stemming from boating accidents. Typically, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. However, it is crucial to consult with a boating accident attorney in Atlanta promptly to ensure you meet all the legal deadlines necessary to obtain the compensation you deserve.
What to Do After a Boating Accident?
If you find yourself involved in a boating accident in Atlanta, follow these essential steps to protect your health and well-being and build a strong case for compensation:
- Call for Help: Ensure the safety of all parties involved and summon medical assistance if needed.
- Report the Accident: Contact the relevant authorities and report the accident. Ask for a law enforcement officer to come to the scene of the accident to create an accident report that will officially document the accident.
- Document the Scene of the Accident: Gather information about the incident, including photographs, witness statements, and any available evidence. These records can be pivotal in building your boating case.
- See a doctor: Even if your injuries seem minor, it is crucial to seek medical attention promptly. Some injuries may not manifest immediately but can have lasting effects.
- Consult with a Qualified Atlanta Boating Accident Lawyer: Reach out to an experienced boating accident attorney in Atlanta to guide you through the legal process, protecting your rights and advocating for your best interests.
Contact Our Boat Accident Lawyers in Atlanta Today
Boating accidents can have life-altering consequences, and navigating the legal complexities that follow can be daunting. At Julie A. Rice, Attorney at Law, & Affiliates, our Atlanta boating accident lawyers possess the knowledge, experience, and dedication to help you pursue maximum compensation for your boating accident claim.
Do not let a boating accident leave you adrift; contact us today at 770-865-8654 or reach us online for a free consultation. We handle personal injury claims, including those involving boater accidents on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay us no upfront fees, and only if we recover compensation for you.