Why Choose Our Personal Injury Attorneys in Atlanta?
If you have suffered injuries due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions, you are entitled to fair compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and more. Atlanta’s personal injury laws empower victims to seek compensation when they are harmed as a result of someone else’s negligence or intentional misconduct.
At Julie A. Rice, Attorney At Law, & Affiliates, our team of experienced Atlanta personal injury attorneys is dedicated to fighting for your rights and securing the compensation you deserve. Don’t navigate this challenging legal process alone. Reach out to us today at 770-865-8654 for a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help
Personal Injury Law: Your Right to Compensation
Personal injury law allows injured parties to seek compensation for losses sustained as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongful conduct. This compensation can be obtained by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party or their liability insurance carrier. In simpler terms, if an individual or a business causes you injury or damage, you might be eligible to bring a lawsuit against them to recover damages for the injuries and losses you have sustained.
A successful personal injury claim can recover compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy
- Ongoing care
- Medication costs
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Other related damages
Common Personal Injury Cases We Handle in Atlanta
Numerous circumstances can lead to a personal injury claim in Atlanta. Here are common types of personal injury cases we handle at Julie A. Rice, Attorney At Law, & Affiliates:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Dog Bites
- Slip and Falls
- Wrongful Death
- Boating Accidents
- Workers’ Compensation
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Medical Malpractice
Understanding Negligence in Atlanta Personal Injury Claims
Simply put, if you have been injured in an accident, you can only hold an individual liable for damages if they were somehow at fault for that accident. Fault is rooted in negligence, a necessary component of every valid personal injury claim.
To establish negligence in a personal injury case, you must prove four key elements:
- Duty of Care – The defendant had a legal duty to act reasonably to avoid causing injury or loss.
- Breach of Duty – The defendant breached this duty through their actions or inactions.
- Causation – The defendant’s breach of duty caused your injuries.
- Damages – You suffered physically, psychologically, or financially due to the defendant’s actions. For example, you sustained medical bills, lost income, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
How to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Atlanta
The overwhelming majority of personal injury cases are resolved outside of court by negotiating a settlement with the at-fault party or their insurance carrier. However, if an acceptable settlement cannot be reached, your Atlanta personal injury attorney may suggest filing a lawsuit and trying your case in court to recover the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Litigating a personal injury case involves several phases:
- Filing and Answer – The process begins by filing a complaint and receiving a response from the defendant or their insurer. Negotiations follow, seeking a settlement. If unresolved, a lawsuit may be filed.
- Discovery – Both parties exchange information, conduct depositions, and gather evidence. This includes medical bills and consultations with physicians to assess your injuries and prognosis for recovery.
- Mediation – Often, the court orders mediation after discovery. These formal settlement discussions aim to resolve the case prior to trial but do not always succeed.
- Trial – If mediation fails, the case proceeds to trial. Here, a jury decides the outcome of the case after both sides present evidence and arguments in support of their positions.
How A Atlanta Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You Maximize Your Claim
A skilled personal injury attorney in Atlanta can help you maximize the value of your personal injury claim by helping you present all the relevant legal and medical facts needed to bolster your claim for compensation. Your Atlanta personal injury lawyer will meticulously uncover these facts and present them strategically to the liable insurance company or a judge or jury in court, strengthening your case and maximizing the value of your claim. Research shows that personal injury claimants with experienced legal representation typically recover three times as much compensation as those without.
The Statute of Limitations For Personal Injury Claims in Atlanta
Georgia enforces strict deadlines for personal injury claims. Generally, you have two years from the date of the accident or incident to file a claim, after which your right to do so will typically be forfeited. This is known as the “statute of limitations.” If you are unsure about the specific statute of limitations for your personal injury claim, consult an experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney promptly. Your personal injury lawyer can assess the facts of your claim and the applicable statute of limitations, and assist you with meeting the required deadline.
Atlanta Personal Injury FAQs
- How long does a personal injury claim take? How long it takes your personal injury claim to resolve will vary depending on factors like the extent of your injuries, the duration of the medical treatment you require, whether or not liability is disputed, how long it takes the liable insurance company to assess your claim, and how busy the court’s trial calendar is. Our goal, in every case, is a swift resolution with maximum compensation.
- How much will my personal injury claim cost? At Julie A. Rice, Attorney At Law, & Affiliates, we work on a contingency fee basis. You pay us no upfront fees, and only when we recover compensation for you. If we don’t settle or win your case, you pay no fee.
- How much is my personal injury claim worth? The value of your personal injury claim will depend on factors like your past and future medical expenses and lost wages, the extent of your pain and suffering, whether you were left with any scarring, disfigurement, or impairment, and the impact the incident has had on your life. Our Atlanta personal injury lawyers will evaluate all of your damages to ensure that any settlement you accept truly reflects the extent of your losses, both past and future.
- When should I take legal action? Whenever someone else’s negligence has caused you injury or loss, you should at least consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can evaluate your case and determine if you have a viable claim for compensation.
Contact Julie A. Rice, Attorney At Law, & Affiliates to Consult with an Experienced Personal injury Lawyer in Atlanta
If you or someone you care about has suffered harm due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing in Atlanta, you may have the right to seek compensation. Contact Julie A. Rice, Attorney At Law, & Affiliates for a free, confidential consultation. Learn how we can help you navigate this complex legal journey and secure the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 770-865-8654, or fill out our contact form to take the first step towards justice.